Green Deal Partners Meet Each Other at the Sustainability Dinner
In recent years, the ArenA has used the annual Sustainability Day as an opportunity to strengthen bonds between the Green Deal partners, to network and to exchange ideas. In the past reporting year, this took place on ‘12-12-12’ with a Sustainability Dinner held in the main building of the ArenA. Label Hospitality Catering, together with top chefs Jonathan Karpathios and Ron Blaauw, provided a menu of sustainable dishes.
“There was not only sustainable food, we also used decorations made of biologically degradable materials and tables from recycled wood,” says Ralf Benda of Label Hospitality. “Sustainability is a key aspect of all our catering projects. We try to minimise the environmental impact by working with local suppliers whenever possible. We are also socially involved in other areas. For instance, each year we offer an internship to disadvantaged young people through the Ajax Campus. Last year the intern did so well that he is now working for us!”
Chef Jonathan Karpathios also looks back on the evening with satisfaction. “Seven years ago I made my own sustainable transition. Since then I cook exclusively with home-grown, organic vegetables. I remember making quite an impression on the guests when I told them that I had been on my knees that very morning harvesting the vegetables they now had on their plates. To me, the good thing about the ArenA is that they are taking responsibility and continuing to pursue their ambitions. Every step you make, counts.”
Highlights of the Sustainability Dinner on 12-12-12
- Nearly 300 guests, including many Green Deal-partners;
- The sale of tables raised € 20,000, which was presented to the Stichting Metamorfose Emma Kinderziekenhuis;
- Lectures from astronaut André Kuipers, Marcel Levi (Chairman Academic Medical Centre) and Robert Seegers (Vice-President Public Affairs & Communication Benelux of Green Deal-partner Coca-Cola Enterprises);
- Musical performance by singer Oleta Adams;
- Sustainable menu with locally grown organic vegetables.